Monday, April 27, 2009

Another Bonus Post...

From Hal McCoy at Dayton Daily News:
"WHEN JACOB ELLSBURY stole home Sunday night against the New York Yankees, it was the first straight theft of home in Fenway Park since 1994. That theft was performed by Billy Hatcher, now the Reds’ first base coach, but then a Boston outfielder.
“Chuck Finley (a lefthander) was pitching and we were up one run,” said Hatcher. “Mo had trouble hitting Finley. And Finley wasn’t paying any attention to me at third, so I took off. I stole home one other time when I was with Boston, against Juan Guzman when he pitched for Toronto. He was slow to home and didn’t pay attention to me.”
Hearing Hatcher talk about running the bases reminded me of the time when utility player Champ Summer hit an inside the park home run in Riverfront Stadium. After he slid home, remained in the dirt, flat on his back for several minutes before he finally got up and staggered off the field.


Asked if he hurt himself sliding home, Summers said, “Nope. I swallowed my chewing tobacco.”

No comments: