Thursday, May 28, 2009

Things I Like - Books

Last week I posed the question - how much stock do you put in someone else’s opinion? When it comes to my own reading selections, I’m happy to take the suggestions of readers I know and who know me. Presumably, such a reader would not recommend something that they didn’t think I would enjoy.

Making a reading choice based on the opinion of a professional critic or an unknown blogger is not as easy. Before I’m willing to spend my money and time reading something recommended by someone I don’t know, I need to know what that person thought of books that I really liked or disliked. If we agree, I’m a lot more likely to take his/her advice about something new.

With that in mind, I recommend the following blog sites that offer book reviews as well as entertainment:

The Millions – a multi-function site offering book reviews, reader forums, an Atlas of Book Stores and Literary places and the ‘Ask a Book Question’ feature.
Welcome to The Millions, offering coverage on books, arts, and culture since 2003. The Millions has been featured on NPR and noted by The New York Times, The Los Angeles Times, and The Village Voice, among others.
~ The Millions
The Old Hag - Although the format of her site is the type that drives me nuts (too much stuff in too many places), she is very entertaining and her book reviews are useful.
Old Hag is the work of Lizzie Skurnick, a critic, poet, essayist, blogger and author. I have given up trying to merge these for you people. Please see bios below [see the site for descriptions of her various incarnations]
~ The Old Hag
Bibliolatrist - Interesting thoughts on interesting things:
I believe reading is essential to living a good life. This blog is my attempt to share my favorite (and not so favorite) works. Recommendations and opinions are welcome.~ Bibliolatrist
Bookninja – Not so much for book reviews as for book industry related news and events.
Bookninja is the premier Canadian literary site, and one of the top literary sites in the world. It is frequented by thousands of people from all around the globe and has become a nexus for literary news and opinion.
~ Bookninja
Sounds a little stuffy but George Murray (Founding Editor and Publisher) is very funny.

No comments: